Curator Preparation

guild news, policies, and raid information
Drumble

Curator Preparation

Post by Drumble » April 21st, 2007, 12:20 pm

I posted something similar to this earlier, thankfully I save copies of text before I post to web boards -- too much experience with retyping the same idea.  I assume I just previewed then closed ... I hope everyone gets a chance to read up on this fight, it's really simple - just takes some preparation.    Essentially it goes like this -- the curator spawns arcane balls that do a chain arcane energy blast every 10 seconds, these must be DPS'd immediately as they can run havok with the rest of the raid.  For 4 seconds they head straight for a random party member before aggro mechanics take effect.  When he runs out of mana (10 casts) he uses evocation -- during the evocation he receives 200% damage, so all DPS focus on him when the last ball is down.  At 25% he enrages and the balls stop.    Arcane resist gear is very important for this fight, as the key is how we handle the Curator's Balls (lol) -- I can craft the Enchanted Adamantite Belt/Boots/Breastplate which is 120 off the bat.  I'll see what I can swap out to and keep to 490 defense.    I'd also like to put a bid in that the gloves first go to the people who helped us all get keyed .. I vote Dudepal/Fargol/Escarriot for the first round.  I'm sure there are others deserving as well, but those three I saw most focused on helping.   ~ Mason

Drumble

Curator Preparation

Post by Drumble » April 22nd, 2007, 3:18 pm

I've read a few more guides, and have a couple suggestions we might try:* We should be killing the spawn in the 10 seconds it takes to summon another one, if we're not doing that - we're wiping* ranged should stay in a half circle to lessen the number of people affected by the arcane damage* Fargol would be better suited to DPS the flares reserving lower dps being the hateful bolt soaker (pally/druid?)My cousin posted a video of his guild doing the event.  You might want to listen with the audio down ... but do a www.youtube.com search for "All Gear No Skill" and watch their Curator video.Just some quick notes before dinner ... I hope we have enough for more attempts this week.~ Mason

Han

Curator Preparation

Post by Han » April 22nd, 2007, 7:43 pm

I have some AR gear, if we want to try having a rogue take the bolts... I think its around 140 or so, and farming some primals could up that quite a bit.  I agree that Fargol would be best suited for the adds, with his ability to endlessly cast dots if someone tosses him a renew.  Do you know how much Hp the adds have?

Fargol

Curator Preparation

Post by Fargol » April 23rd, 2007, 2:46 am

Yea, as I've thought about the fight, I really should be helping with dpsing the adds. Originally, I figured I'd be the "sponge" or whatever for the arcane bolts, since I have a healthy amount of HPs and I worked about collecting AR gear. The gear did help, I would note, so whomever takes my spot should have a solid amount. I had 201 AR for the fight. I checked my dmg meter (sw stats) for %resisted, and it had roughly 40% arcane dmg resisted for me - but that included killing the trash that also did arcane damage before hand, when I didn't have the AR gear on.

I'm not sure a low dps class is the best either, though. I had to work fairly hard at staying at #2 on the threat - Dudepal was tough competition from his healing aggro, if I didn't keep spamming dots and my high aggro spell.

Miramel or another rogue might be a good choice, as they'd be able to do enough dmg to maintain threat, and melee dps isn't very well suited for dpsing the adds - ranged dmg is definitely best, as being next to those orbs make it much more likely to be hit with the add's damage.

Hopefully we can get enough / the right kind of people on this monday for another few attempts yet before it resets.

Hardwigg

Curator Preparation

Post by Hardwigg » April 23rd, 2007, 8:09 am

Everything I've read seems to favor a 'lock soaking up the hateful bolts.  But I think our real problem was the overall composition of the group.  We had 4 full-tim healers, Chuunks, Fargol soaking up the bolts, and Myrdinn helping with dps.  So that left only 3 people - myself, Krikor, and Dayve - who were actually classes with dps specs dedicated to the adds.  It just wasn't enough.I'd say we need 1 tank, 2-3 healers, 5-6 dpsing the adds, and one soaking the bolts.  So even if we have 3 healers with our tank, we still have at least 5 dedicated dps classes damaging the adds with one soaking up bolts.  I just don't think hybrid classes will help that much with dps here.  We need LOTS of damage, and people specced to do so.

dudepal

Curator Preparation

Post by dudepal » April 23rd, 2007, 10:04 am

Yeah, i think it would work best for us having a rogue or possibly myrdinn soaking up the hateful bolts.  Part of the reason I ended up with so much healing aggro is because there were 3-4 adds running around most of the time, so if we were taking them down at the proper place, i don't think healing aggro would be a problem.  Also, the hateful bolts target someone based both on current hp and aggro.  Dudepal only has around 7000 hps fully buffed in healing gear, so it is unlikely that he would be unlikely that he would be targeted, even if he did get to 2nd on the list.  Secondly, having a melee dps taking the bolts would prevent them from taking the chain lightning from the adds. 

Jon

Curator Preparation

Post by Jon » April 23rd, 2007, 11:55 am

I should be on tonight, but it may be closer to 7:30. So please go for high dps classes first and I should be able to attend if needed. I don't have a lot of AR gear, so please keep that in mind when getting the group together. Also, I agree that Escarriot/Dudepal/Fargol gets first go at Tier 4 glove tokens when we kill him. They helped me and a lot of the guild get through BM very easily.

Hardwigg, hopefully we can get some Arena in tonight, sorry to miss you on that this weekend. Had to log yesterday after the truly Heroic UB run...must've been 4-5 hours, but I got the epic so I can't complain =) Nice healing Escarriot!

Lastly, I'm going to be AFK this Wednesday raiding night (wife's b-day: WoW = Death). So lets chat when we have time tonight about how we want to approach the coming week's Khara run. I'll post a forum thread if needed, but since there's been some ideas floating around about how we should go about organizing this, maybe someone can step up and get it organized from a Raid Leaders point of view and get an ideal class make up in there.

Han

Curator Preparation

Post by Han » April 23rd, 2007, 5:19 pm

Looks like I will be able to make it and I will be bringing my AR gear, none of it is soulbound so maybe myrdinn can wear it, as he will have an easier time staying at high HPs and also high up on the meter.  -Scott

Gathgor

Curator Preparation

Post by Gathgor » April 24th, 2007, 1:53 pm

Hey everyone, Assuming I am grouped with Chuunks in a guild run, what does the guild think my spec should be?  I am currently a protection spec of 7/13/41.  I'd like to know what you all think would be most beneficial for the guild.

Mahnalor

Curator Preparation

Post by Mahnalor » May 15th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Hey Gathgor,Did you ever get an answer here?  If not, let's post in a different thread so we can get more input.  All in all... have fun... Chuunks and I have found out that we can generate some decent DPS while being prot specced.  Not astonishing... but decent ;)-Mahnalor

Gathgor

Curator Preparation

Post by Gathgor » May 16th, 2007, 2:15 pm

Hey, I actually did not get an answer.  The last time grouped with you Jose (with me off-tanking) I found that when we got to hitting on the same mob that I had a difficult time getting rage (and rage is useful for those warrior abilities to piss off monsters and gain aggro and threat).  This is likely becuase the mob is not hitting me and he is hitting you so you get all of the rage build up so you can do more tanking abilities to keep aggro.  So I have been thinking that if we have you (Mahanlor) and Chuunks in Kara with me as Gathgor, I'm not sure that I am being most useful being protection specced.  It might work better with another spec.  I'm also working hard at getting my warlock to 70; she is currently 62 so may have more dps from that standpoint. So if guildies have some suggestions, I'm all ears.  I'd like to get some of the earlier bosses in Kara down on farm as quickly as possible and I'm willing to respec Gath to help out.  Any thoughts?

Drumble

Curator Preparation

Post by Drumble » May 16th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Well - I dont want to tell anyone which spec to be or not to be, but if you are going for a DPS build -- I'd still make sure you put 15 points through Protection so that you get Last Stand, Improved Shield Block and Defiance.  If you're in an OT role - regardless of rage, you're going to want Defiance for the +15% threat, Last Stand for the obvious situations and Imp. Shield Block for boss mob damage mitigation.Without Defiance, DPS will suffer behind your threat in battles like Midnight/Attumen as OT.   (or wipe if we dont restrain ourselves)I've a couple DPS builds that I play around with still keeping 15 points in Prot. -- I'll try and post them when I'm next at my main computer.  Perhaps you should post what you're considering changing too and we can comment on that?If protection is your love tho - I'd encourage you to stay there and play what you feel most comfortable. 

Mahnalor

Curator Preparation

Post by Mahnalor » May 16th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Thanks Gath.  We appreciate you potentially changing your  spec to best suit the raid group.  Just have fun... as it stands right now for the first few bosses at least, both you and I can tank while Mason is on Drumble.  Or if Chunks is on and you have respecced to dps then you can dps.I do agree with Mason in regards to Defiance at this point in the game.  It definitely helps.  Also, remember: rage generation is based on two parts: 1) Damage dealt to you and 2) Damage you deal.  Some things that help out:keep spamming Bloodrage for a bit of extra rage whenever its up use Shield Bash to its fullest... it is the highest threat warrior ability available on the global cooldown. It's an instant attack and usually does 500-600dmg with crits for me just over 1000)pots that increase strength. (Benefit is 2 fold - more armor and 2X attack power)any pot that will increase your attributes (Elixir of Mastery for example)Just some addditional notes...-MahnalorPS: Make sure you read this guide if you havent already:http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 44&sid=1as there is some fantastic information in there (including additional links to other great resources)

Drumble

Curator Preparation

Post by Drumble » May 16th, 2007, 5:30 pm

Ditto on that guide -- it's the warrior bible.  Took me a few reads -- there's that much information in there to grasp.

Han

Curator Preparation

Post by Han » May 17th, 2007, 7:35 am

Gath - good to hear about your warlock.  I am working hard on my lock also since melee can be a real liability for dps in karazhan.  Last night we had 4 melee in the party, putting maiden out of the question.  This instance is really about group makeup, and if more of us have an alt we can hop on with, we can fine tune the group makeup by swapping classes while not asking someone to step out. 

dudepal

Curator Preparation

Post by dudepal » June 3rd, 2007, 11:07 am

one thing i thought of for the fight is that everyone should try and have "use" type trinkets.  Even if you have a trinket that is generally better, you should use whichever trinket has the best use effect, because all that really matters are those 20 or so seconds that he's evocating.  Also, mages should try and get a hold of flame cap.  Could be nice, although it uses the same cooldown as healthstones and mana gems so it might be situational. 

dudepal

Curator Preparation

Post by dudepal » June 3rd, 2007, 11:19 am

Oh, i had another idea that applies to healers.  I think we should really try and refrain from throwing out big heals on dps.  Wshould assign someone to mostly focus on the tank, and then the others should try and use flash of lights/renews on everyone else.  I suppose someone would need to be assigned to the hateful bolt soak as well.  The thing i mostly want to avoid is having a rogue get three heals for 4000 life at the same time.  Possibly we could put someone in charge of focusing mostly on keeping the  rogues up too. I'll see what people think about this at the raid tonight.

Dionia

Curator Preparation

Post by Dionia » June 4th, 2007, 6:37 am

I'm all for designated healing, tell me who to heal and I stop panicking and spam healing until I run out of mana :)   One healer MT, one healer hateful bolt victim, Krikor was needing tonnes of healing also, maybe a healer for him? Please feel free to tell me where to go and how to get there, I'm not a prima donna priest, I won't leave if I don't get the chilled bottled water :P

Hardwigg

Curator Preparation

Post by Hardwigg » June 4th, 2007, 8:46 am

I agree that everyone's role should be as specific and planned as possible, that way if things do go wrong, we can see if anyone deviated from the plan or in what areas the plan was flawed.Everyone should get Deadly Boss Mods.And we should compose our raid from the best and most geared classes available to us at the time.  It's not about who's better than who or which person has put more time into their character.  We simply need to do everything we can to maximize our chance at a successful fight, and that means choosing who goes and who sits out 'til we have the fight down.  I know we don't often have the luxury of choosing who we bring, but when we do, we should be picky.

Krikor

Curator Preparation

Post by Krikor » June 4th, 2007, 10:50 am

Well one thing I can throw out there is that I am constanty running with these flares and getting hit from 500-700 each time and I am continuously with these at all times, I use those pots I had for arcane resistance and I also use my Cloak of shadows, and in between when I try to bandage it is not enough time for me to heal anything or we are falling behind on the flares. I know we try to get him down as fast as possible but maybe we should try to take more time to kill him. So it takes us an extra round or something to kill him but I think we are always trying to get him down faster than anything and blowing our mana pots trinkets etc...so I think we should see what happens. Just a thought.