Raid 4/14 post-mortem

guild news, policies, and raid information
Drumble

Raid 4/14 post-mortem

Post by Drumble » April 15th, 2007, 12:44 pm

I think it behooves us to continue to analyze our strategy until we have this place on farm status -- so I'd like to have this thread be the repository for information learned so next week we can roll right past this and further into the content.What worked for you?  What didn't work?From the tanking perspective:Maiden of Virtue :   I thought it worked best to have her positioned right in the center of the circle, in this way there is a reliable circle around her for her AOE, occasionally she seemed to drop aggro on me - even though according to KTM I was soaring in threat, I think that when she does her AOE stun - she goes after the non-stunned targets first.  When Escarriot used his Blessing of Takeyourdamage, he was freeing himself -- then I would get unstunned on the next pulse.  Just a guess - but we might want to keep those on the other to melee, so that I'm unstunned on the first pulse as well.15k armor, 12k hp, 492 defense - she was hitting for 2600-2800, about equivalent to some of the trash mobs in Karazhan (with the addition of crushing blows being she's a boss of course).  This is almost a tank & spank encounter ...Trash :  Skeletal Ushers : I think we collectively agree that it's good to be pushing threat on both of these guys at once, I read and discovered it to be true that they consistantly cast ice tomb about 4-5 seconds after the cast Frost Shock.  In this way, I was able to spell reflect the ice block -- unfortunately, there is still the drop of aggro -- but NOT ALWAYS.  There were a couple times the guy stayed glued after a successful reflect ..  if they run away, even pouring ever scrap of aggro builder into it - I wasn't able to pull it back.  Obviously why it's good to have that second tank building secondary aggro on your mob (instead of a mage :)) ... Next patch they should be a breeze though, but we'll be encountering mobs like this anyways.Stagehands : similar to the ushers -- instead of Ice Tomb they use a net that drops threat.  Untauntable - but thankfully patrol in singles.The Wizard of OzStage events are tough since they're hard to prepare for ... but from what I've read, it's good for the tank to throw a couple sunders on Tinman to keep him from charging and killing the kiting mage right away, to let there be his max of 8 debuffs while kiting.  Roar is feared the entire fight, Strawman is kited as well by something with a fast cast fire spell (mage or warlock w/ imp), Dorothy is untankable - leaving her to be cleaned up by dps, Tito is an easy tank.  So in general IMHO -- you would kill Dorothy first (random 2k+ frost bolts), Strawman (if not 2 mages) /Tito (if 2 mages), Roar, Tinman.Next week it will be something different though I'm sure. :) ~  Mason

dudepal

Raid 4/14 post-mortem

Post by dudepal » April 15th, 2007, 4:05 pm

Hrm, I'm not sure why the maiden was running to escarriot every time.  As far as I know, you should break out of the repentance before escarriot.  Reason being, the blessing of sacrifice causes him to take damage whenever you do.  Granted, there would be a chance that he would prevent all the damage, but since the rank 1 BoS only transfers 30 damage max or so it seems unlikely. For next weeks raid I was wondering whether or not we would want to do moroes first and then head for the opera right away?  That would give us a bit more time to work on that particular fight.  Only problem with that would be repairs.

Hardwigg

Raid 4/14 post-mortem

Post by Hardwigg » April 16th, 2007, 7:28 am

As long as well still fight Attumen,  I'm down with anything.  I just want to get that bow that dude drops at some point.Now hopefully the next patch will be tomorrow and not next week.  I think this will make an infinitely easier trip to the Opera Event.  Not that we had too much trouble getting there, but seeing as we're still learning the ropes on that one, if we wipe enough for trash to respawn, it'll be so much easier to get back for additional attempts.  Two mages would surely be nice for the Opera event, as would more than one tank, but there's got to be a way to do this (thinking of the Oz fight) with the makeup we had.  I think it's a matter of being informed really.  It would probably be good for us all to read up on the Opera Events and strategies, along with those for the Curator, before the raid Wednesday.  I think one of the problems we had seemed to be too many people trying to give opinions and strategies, so what we then end up with is a mashed-up combination of multiple strategies.  I think for the boss fights it's a lot better to let one person lead the raid and plan the strategy.  If that clearly won't work, on the next attempt we get opinions from everyone else.  This would keep us moving along and would make it easier not having to sift through 5 voices in Vent, deciding who we should really listen to.

Han

Raid 4/14 post-mortem

Post by Han » April 18th, 2007, 8:55 am

According to Wowwiki, the pally who is applying the blessing to the tank should always stand behind the tank.  This way if the pally breaks out, and the tank is still stunned, she will have to run through the tank to get to the pally.  Hopefully, she would do a stomp during this period and hit the tank and wake him up.  There must be some times when the repentance hits the pally first, stuns the pally, then hits the tank (waking up the pally) and then stuns the tank.  You would think it would be in order of proximity, but who knows.  Lets give that strat a try this week.-Scott