Post by Zo- » June 27th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Name (first name only): Tim
Character Name: Zo
Realm: Proudmoore
Class: Monk
Level: 60
Main Spec: Mistweaver
Off Spec(s): Windwalker

Have you read and understand the following posts?
Yes - Read This Before Applying
Yes - Raiding and Rosters

Which of the following best describes your raiding goals?
1. Raid whenever you have time in whatever group is most convenient
--> 2. Raid consistently in a normal / heroic mode group and maybe some mythic
3. Dedicated to progressing through mythic at whatever rate the group is capable of
4. Hardcore mythic progression
5. None of the above, please explain:

Please link your armory profile:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... udmoore/Zo

What is your raid experience? Please list as much as you think is relevant.
I've raided since Molten Core 40m in Vanilla. Varying between "mythic" (or what is equivalent back when), more recently more heroic (so I can do other things irl). My most memorable kill is the "world last first kill" of Garrosh 10 heroic on Windrunner, my first server. We got our kill 3 minutes before the patch server reboot, after a 5 hour raid and all-in push to make it happen. It was amazing to see 10 players all do such a clutch pull with the stakes, stress, and fatigue all so high.

More recently, I was on Hyjal in Underguild for most of BFA. They're a 2 night heroic guild, quite chill. I started looking for a bit more, and moved to a new guild that was seeking CE. I bounced around a few of these, as they kept blowing up. Very unstable, and frustrating as you kind of have to learn new people all the time, and never got to settle into a good team. On Hyjal my name was Quiddity.

In the twilight of BFA I decided to xfer back to alliance and back to Proudmoore (I was in EK/Sellswords for several tiers back in Legion). I joined a guild called Trust (later became Songflower Serenade). They said they wanted CE, and they were a new guild, but we barely even got AotC, and because of that, the guild kind of came apart. The GM/Leader was also kind of burning out so that didn't help. During this time, I was farming all the guild's flasks and some of its food, and became an officer. I was hoping to do what I could to build the team, but it just didn't work out.

After that, I kind of took a break out of frustration. It's exhausting to get to know a group, their voices and idiosyncrasies etc, only to have it all come apart again and again.

Why did you leave your previous (current) guild?
They stopped raiding and the guild basically went their own ways.

How did you find our guild?
Looking in Proudmoore WoW forum.

What is the basic enchanting / gemming strategy for your character?
I always have everything enchanted/gemmed with the best ones I can afford which are almost always the best ones you can get. Occasionally, depending on the class, I will have gems and enchants to swap back and forth, for example full haste to full crit, although that was more of a thing in BFA with insane haste builds and rising mist (Mistweaver healing). If you catch me with an open slot or unenchanted item, it's a mistake and please let me know about it :)

If you mean what stat I go with, that depends. Generally, I'll pick the highest stat based on stat weights (QE Live) or sim it if I'm setting up gear for Windwalker.

What consumables do you use during raids?
I mentioned above but I farmed most of our mats for cauldrons in Trust. So I of course used those. Also as a Pandaren I never miss the opportunity to eat. I use oils, and the chest armor thing if it's progression, and runes depending on progression state. I do a ton of satchel heroics so almost always have runes to burn. And a vantus if it's like, progression on a boss and we're pushing. Mana pots when needed, based on fight, like on H.Sire I would usually use 2 - one early phase 1 and then on cooldown.

What boss mod(s) / addons do you use?
BigWigs, Grid2 (with a lot of custom stuff), Weak auras (custom ones) with sounds so I can track my cooldowns easily. ExRT. Angry Assignments when the raid uses it. Those are main raid centric ones.

Is there anything else you want to tell us?
Maybe a few things I wish I had disclosed in earlier guilds:
* I am a healer at heart, and I've played my monk since MoP and almost nothing else (that's 9 years now). I do enjoy switching to WW on occasion when the raid needs it (like, we have too many healers) although finding the opportunity to remain sharp in the spec can be a little challenging as prior guilds always needed the heals.
* I don't tank. I once tanked kor'kron dark shaman (a dead easy to tank fight) and nothing since then. I've consciously chosen to be good at 2 things instead of spreading it thin to 3.
* I don't really enjoy PvP. When I think I might want to try it, I find myself a bit overwhelmed knowing I am just going to get stun locked or something and not know what to do. There's also enough other things to keep me busy and improve for raids, so they take priority.
* I'm really very shy about starting groups, and pugging things like M+. I have a love-hate relationship with M+, because I love it when I'm doing it with people I know (usually) but I kind of dread wading into the toxicity that is pugging M+ esp as a healer.
* One of the underappreciated Monk abilities is being able to reset a fight, and I'm pretty good at it. I've gone almost entire progression nights without dying (and saving the raid a lot of time between attempts running back). I take a lot of pride in survivability.
* I recently upgraded to a new mouse, keyboard, and moved movement from WASD to ESDF, so I'm going to be a little bit "stumbly" for a few days till I get that muscle memory back.

Are there any ways that we can improve the application process?
I think you have a good setup. You kind of have to read and pay attention to get it in. There's a ton more info available here than most guilds, and that speaks well for the guild's organization and hopefully stability.
The one thing I did notice is the "don't be like this guy" youtube link didn't work, I think whoever it was made it private, and I was about to pop some popcorn to listen to some guy rage on his group :)

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk :)

draven

Re: Zo

Post by draven » June 27th, 2021, 11:00 pm

greetings, thanks for the comprehensive app! everything looks good to me.
Zo- wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 9:20 pm
What is your raid experience? Please list as much as you think is relevant.
My most memorable kill is the "world last first kill" of Garrosh 10 heroic on Windrunner, my first server. We got our kill 3 minutes before the patch server reboot, after a 5 hour raid and all-in push to make it happen. It was amazing to see 10 players all do such a clutch pull with the stakes, stress, and fatigue all so high.
super late grats :) we pushed for this as well but were never able to get to phase four consistently and fell a bit short, which still annoys me a bit even now.
Zo- wrote:
I started looking for a bit more, and moved to a new guild that was seeking CE. I bounced around a few of these, as they kept blowing up.
in case it matters this is not a mythic guild since we usually do not have enough people or interest or both to progress in mythic and in our experience trying to pug mythic content does not end well.
Zo- wrote:
* I am a healer at heart, and I've played my monk since MoP and almost nothing else (that's 9 years now). I do enjoy switching to WW on occasion when the raid needs it (like, we have too many healers) although finding the opportunity to remain sharp in the spec can be a little challenging as prior guilds always needed the heals.
this should be fine. there are the occasional encounters where using fewer healers is beneficial but we usually stick with a pretty standard group comp and we definitely need healers at the moment.
Zo- wrote:
* I don't tank. I once tanked kor'kron dark shaman (a dead easy to tank fight) and nothing since then. I've consciously chosen to be good at 2 things instead of spreading it thin to 3.
this is also fine and is good to know. we usually are set on tanks and have a couple people who can fill in when necessary.
Zo- wrote:
* I don't really enjoy PvP. When I think I might want to try it, I find myself a bit overwhelmed knowing I am just going to get stun locked or something and not know what to do. There's also enough other things to keep me busy and improve for raids, so they take priority.
this is pretty much my opinion of pvp these days as well :(
Zo- wrote:
* I'm really very shy about starting groups, and pugging things like M+. I have a love-hate relationship with M+, because I love it when I'm doing it with people I know (usually) but I kind of dread wading into the toxicity that is pugging M+ esp as a healer.
this is also pretty much my opinion of lfg and pugs, and is among the reasons why i put so much effort into organizing consistent groups for both raids and mythic+. my least favorite memories of this game usually involve people from lfg being toxic or or rage quitting mythic+.
Zo- wrote:
* One of the underappreciated Monk abilities is being able to reset a fight, and I'm pretty good at it. I've gone almost entire progression nights without dying (and saving the raid a lot of time between attempts running back). I take a lot of pride in survivability.
with rogue and night elf druid mains i like cheating death as well :)
Zo- wrote:
* I recently upgraded to a new mouse, keyboard, and moved movement from WASD to ESDF, so I'm going to be a little bit "stumbly" for a few days till I get that muscle memory back.
interesting, i've never considered that setup and am not sure i could switch after defaulting to wasd forever but i can see how it would be better.
Zo- wrote:
Are there any ways that we can improve the application process?
I think you have a good setup. You kind of have to read and pay attention to get it in. There's a ton more info available here than most guilds, and that speaks well for the guild's organization and hopefully stability.
the guild has existed in various forms since the end of vanilla and several members of the raid team have been around since mop so there's a pretty good chance that we'll be around doing something or other for the foreseeable future. overall the forums aren't very active these days, but most of the application content is due to repeatedly getting the same questions from people in game so hopefully it provides a good overview of the guild. in my experience people who put more effort into the application process tend to work out better so thank you for reading through everything and the detailed answers.
Zo- wrote:
The one thing I did notice is the "don't be like this guy" youtube link didn't work, I think whoever it was made it private, and I was about to pop some popcorn to listen to some guy rage on his group :)
doh, thanks for the heads up. i'm not sure when that was made private as it was still available somewhat recently. it was a rant by josh allen aka devolore (https://twitter.com/devolore) about toxic players when he was still doing tankspot videos. he was pretty blunt and it was not an entirely professional opinion from someone who now officially represents blizzard so i'm not surprised he took it down. i'll update that post, and see if i can find the video again somewhere.

anywho, track someone down online and we can get you a guild invite. the easiest way of doing so is probably our forged alliance community, more info on that is here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5598