Team Thursday 8/16 Raid Report

guild news, policies, and raid information
Mahnalor

Post by Mahnalor » August 14th, 2007, 9:38 pm

Hi Folks,Exciting news... we have several more guildees attuned and hopefully will be set to go without pugs and on-time this week :)Please remember.... make your char the best it can be... check for upgrades, run 5-man's, enchant your armor/weapons, slot your armor appropriately... any improvement will help out the entire raid.In addition, please try and read up on the following boss fights on www.wowwiki.com:AttumenMoroesOpera... as were hoping to clear these three areas on Thursday...So.. who's in? Remember... we'll most likely need more than 10 to possibly swap out a person for certain boss fights. (Ex. A Warlock would be beneficial for the Wizard of Oz Opera Event)ThursdayMahnalor - WarriorKrikor - RogueBenvolo - MageGathgor - Warrior (DPS)Blave - DruidFionaa - PriestAnother - MageDRP - RogueThandrenn - WarriorSundayMahnalor - WarriorKrikor - RogueBenvolo - MageIdravenl - RogueBlave - Druid Another - MageDRP - RogueThandrenn - Warrior

Krikor

Post by Krikor » August 15th, 2007, 8:56 am

Jose just to let you know I am in for thursday and sunday's run. Watch out for the rogue I am sneakin into group 2 this week...hopefully

Benvolo

Post by Benvolo » August 15th, 2007, 9:58 am

I am in for both days

Gathgor

Post by Gathgor » August 15th, 2007, 1:33 pm

Gathgor is in for a dps slot if needed on thursday; I doubt I will be available this sunday.

draven

Post by draven » August 15th, 2007, 1:36 pm

i would only be available from 7 to 8 on thursday so i'll assume that means i'm out.i'm good for sunday though.

Mahnalor

Post by Mahnalor » August 15th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Thanks for the quick response guys!Several other folks have verbally given me the ok and I will include them in the list above:AnotherFionaaBlave(Please let me know if there are any discrepancies)

Blave

Post by Blave » August 15th, 2007, 2:41 pm

I am good to go, as DPS, off tank, off healer, whatever the group needs ... even looter :)

drp

Post by drp » August 15th, 2007, 6:13 pm

I will be there like normal, already got some repair bots set up for this week so i dont have to spend tonight farming for mats =)

Mahnalor

Post by Mahnalor » August 15th, 2007, 11:10 pm

... still looks like we need another healer or two for each night in addition to an OT...Beuler...Beuler???

thandrenn

Post by thandrenn » August 16th, 2007, 9:27 am

Thandrenn, Killer of Stuff will be there.

thandrenn

Post by thandrenn » August 16th, 2007, 10:36 pm

Or not. Sorry I had to drop out so early. When I turned my computer on after I got home from work the CPU fan was making an odd sound. I shutdown and quickly cleaned the blades and heatsink with some blasts of air (while holding the fan in place :P). Usually this fixes the problem. Not this time though. Started acting up again after a few minutes, then it started slowing down. by the time I left the fan was at about half-speed and CPU temp was up 40 degrees F higher than normal. I put an old fan back in and it seems to be working now. Hopefully it'll hold out until a new fan gets here. Doh :(

Blave

Post by Blave » August 17th, 2007, 11:14 am

About Kara last night ...

First, my self assessment:
- I am going to work on getting my healing gear up, hopefully this will help a little more. I noticed my healing gear only had +700 to healing and I think that might be a little light for a backup healer (when in healer mode)
- My Tanking gear seems okay (for now) with 14k health and 19k armor, but I noticed my defense rating was low, so I will look into getting that higher, maybe just changing out gems. (I don't think I will be tanking much, just on the big pulls ... I believe I can better serve the group and DPS without aggro so I can pop out of cat and heal/innervate when needed)
- DPS, the logs show I was LAST :(, the only ppl I did more DPS than was the Tanks and Healers ... I think this is expected because I am not fighting in DPS mode every fight and even when I am in DPS mode, often times I stop to help with heals ... I am trying to become more of a utility class and less of a pure DPS class.

Okay, group assessment:
My Overview: I think we did _okay_ until we lost our primary off tank ... after that I think we were done.
Details: We wiped on the way to the first boss, but we still managed to beat him :) /cheer ... but after that we lost our main off tank and I think we lost that extra 10%-15% of the group dynamics we needed to be successful. Gath stepped up to the plate and off tanked well, very well in fact for a DPS warrior. Reviewing the logs I think healing might have been a little light on group 2, BUT, the logs also show that group 2 was not taking that much damage, so I think it balances out ... Main tank and main healer were in group 1 so the logs favor group 1.
Summary: I think overall we did the best we could, however we more to be successful ... I lost count of the wipes :( ... two main points I can think of ...
1) If you start the kara run with us, please finish it ... especially Tanks and Healers!!!, We lost our off tank and the rest of the group got nothing but a headache and a huge repair bill ... I understand if you dog eats your cat and you need to leave ... RL always takes priority.
2) Show up prepared, we still had people without food and potions (I personally ran out because of the wipes)
3) I think we as a guild need to have an ALT list for Tanks and Healers ... so when we lose someone we can pull from an ALT list ... here is my recommendation, If you are a DPS class and you have an ALT that can heal or tank, spend a little time getting them attuned and geared, we need you!!! (I have a 60 Priest that I will start working on)

Okay, specifics (constructive):
Gath, please spend some time getting your tanking gear up ... I believe your Defense rating is good for now, but more Armor and Stamina would be helpful ... I know you are DPS and that's cool (your a great PvP partner) ... I believe you have an opportunity to flex your utility by having a better tanking set. (I am NOT asking you to respec)
Xan, more blue items and no greens :) as a main healer you have a huge load on your shoulders, the group is depending on you ... lets PvP!!! and get you some items ... and if you want to run an instance for an item upgrade, just send me a tell and I will do my best to help :)
Blave, (yes me) working on better healing items as mentioned above.

Until Sunday, lets gear up!!!

P.S.
Extra points to DRP for the repair bot!

Gathgor

Post by Gathgor » August 17th, 2007, 12:49 pm

Very helpful points, Blave. I do have over the required defense rating, but do need more armor and I'm working on that.  I respecced to Arms since we had a ton of protection tanks who like to tank.  One thing that I would like to do is get my rep up with the Sha'tar so that I can get Mahnalor's and Chuunks' shield.  That would be a great help.  I am currently honored so anyone that wants to run a few Tempest Keep dungeons and then heroic Tempest Keep dungeons should send me a tell.  I will never refuse that.  I also waited a little long to check the AH for potions and elixirs and they were empty.  Won't make that mistake again. OK, going to be a bad boy right now, leave work early, and go play WOW.  Cya online.

Mahnalor

Post by Mahnalor » August 17th, 2007, 2:51 pm

Great stuff Blave!  My take...Things that went well....1) Showing up on-time.  Kudos to everyone for showing up on time.  The first pull was just after 8pm which is fantastic!  The goal is to start the first pull at 8pm on Thursday with the first pull at 7:30pm on Sunday.2) 1-shotted Attumen with 9! Woot! Way to go! 3) Group dynamics.  I am not referring to class-makeup but the commaraderie (I think that's how you spell it ) of the folks involved.  Though we wiped many times, we were all still upbeat! That will carry us a long way folks...Things to improve on...1) Showing up prepared.  This includes but is not limitted to:Potions, elixirs, buff food.  These are a necessity in Kara.  Health pots, mana pots, ironshield pots for the tanks, etc...Always repair beforehand!  Everyone should be fully repaired before the first-pull.  No exceptions.Please read-ahead on www.wowwiki.com to learn a bit more about the boss encounters we are expecting that evening.  Knowledge is power!Gear. Gear. Gear.  There is an easy way in the armory to check for upgrades for your gear. There are many upgrades that I am sure folks will find by questing alone!  Also check the AH.  Forget about the epic mount for now... it does no good while in Kara, Gruuls or any of the higher end content.  Spend your gold/time on things that can make your char a bit better.  Armor, weapons, off-hands, enchants, gems, etc...  Every member in the Kara raid group should try their best to not have any green items.  This might mean running additional 5-man instances, pvp, AH etc.2) Shackling.  It is crucial we pick up the mobs that break shackle as early as possible.  It is also crucial to NOT break the shackles when they have been applied.  Just about everyone of us is guilty of this.  I know I broke a couple of shackles here and there.  We must make a more concerted effort to avoid this.  3) DPS. Everyone must make sure that the MT has hit a pulled mob first before attacking, healing the MT, etc.  Times that I have pulled a mob, we had folks hitting them before they even reached me.  It becomes more difficult and an uphill battle to get aggro back.  Remember, there are alot of mobs that are not tauntable! Rogues especially, please folks.. wait for the MT to hit them first.  4) Healing. I think there was some confusion at first as to wether or not Blave should DPS or heal.  It turned out that we needed Blave as a full time healer for the Raid instead of DPS.  Blave - As you mentioned, you are already working on your healing gear.. great.  I also believe you can be more of an effective healer without having to respec.  Xandor - please take a look at your gear and see what can be improved.  I am willing to help out as well if you need a group quest run done, instance, etc. I also have some uncut gems if you need any... just let me know.. DUdepal can hook us up there to cut them.  Though gear/gems/enchants will help, I dont think Fionaa outhealing you almost 2 to 1 is entirely due to these factors. Take a look at Fionaa's and Dudepal's talents in the Armory to see how they are specced.  Talk to them about mods they may be using, tactics, etc.  You are a vital role in this raid.  Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you out.To sum up...I hope everyone realizes that this isn't like your 10-man UBRS run back in the days.  Back then you can do fairly well without being prepared.  Bosses would not wipe the whole raid in a matter of seconds.  For that matter, trash mobs can even wipe the whole raid... ummm... can someone say Phantom Valet?.. need I say more? Everyone's role is critical to the raid groups survival and we are only as strong as our level of preparedness.Those in attendance:MahnalorBlaveAnotherBenvoloKurumiKrikorXandorGathgorDrpFionaaLoot:Attumen:Steelhawk Crossbow - GathgorWorgen Claw Necklace - Krikor

Drumble

Post by Drumble » August 17th, 2007, 3:54 pm

To help with shackling -- they added a macro command a few patches ago that is PERFECT.  "focus" Essentially you set up a macro that is this: /cast [target=focus] Shackle Undead Now - highlight the mob you're going to shackle and type /focus.  That macro button you created will shackle this focus mob without you losing your current target.  Heal heal heal the MT -- shackle the mob -- heal heal heal.  No multiple clicks - no fumbling -- just pure win. RE: pulling aggro from the tank. LISTEN TO THE MAN - HE SPEAKS THE TRUTH.  If you hit a mob that is running back to the group, it currently only has the threat of the bullet.  The tank can't create more threat without rage, the tank cant get rage without getting hit.  Now this is all fine and dandy and a learning experience if one person pulls aggro, they die - it goes back to the tank.  .. unless that person sucked heals up.  Now that DPS has shoved aggro onto a healer.   And unfortunately in these situations quickly turn into a clusterfart, people tend to let loose when they see other people smacking the mob -- now instead of one person ahead of the tank on threat, you have 9. Better to hold off a little bit - then let loose a lot of bit.  You'll be able to do a lot more DPS if the pull is set up correctly.

Fargol

Post by Fargol » August 17th, 2007, 4:21 pm

I think you're right about the healing, mahnalor - You really do need to have 3 healers for kara. Group one has only run with just 2 a rare handful of times, and that's with two well geared healers. Not to say that heals were your issue, I wasn't there, so I don't know. What I do know is that it's very do-able with only 2 healers, but it puts a TON of stress on those two healers. Especially when they're also on crowd control duties for the moroes fight. Okay, enough of me preaching from my high and mighty pedestal, you guys know what you're doing.

Mahnalor

Post by Mahnalor » August 17th, 2007, 5:26 pm

Thanks Chuunks and Fargol. We appreciate the feedback. That macro...I will remind the priests to have that macro in their arsenal when we are there on Sunday.In regards to pulling aggro, yeah... There is usually a reason I am bringing the mob back to the group.. such as a fearing Spectral Charger or another mob who is too close for comfort and too near other mobs.  We'll work on this and get it perfected.  All-in-all I think we did well. A lot of room for improvement though but it seems like everyone is ready to give it their all!We found that the 3 healers were absolutely imperative for Moroes.  We only needed two for Attumen, but hey, lets face it.. he's probably the least of our worries in Kara .  Blave is up for the task and is willing and able to take on any role we need.On Sunday the plans are to down Moroes, head to Opera and possibly give Curator or Maiden a whirl.  Really depends on the timing and the group makeup though.  We'll see!-Mahnalor

Dionia

Post by Dionia » August 17th, 2007, 5:55 pm

Two little macros made a HUGE change to the Moroes fight for me, one is /focus the second is /cast [target=focus] Shackle Undead this way you target your mob, press the /focus macro button, and then from that moment on you ONLY have to press your shackle macro to reshackle your mob, you don't have to change targets, you don't have to try find your mob in amongst the 3 others being offtanked/shackled, you don't have to die!! ;) Believe me I was dying a lot to shackle breaks before Chuunks found these macros. They've made my blood pressure go down lol :_)  

Mahnalor

Post by Mahnalor » August 21st, 2007, 4:57 pm

Thanks Diona!  Always helps to hear from a priests point of view as well! :)Hi Folks,So we managed to down Moroes (finally!) with the help of Zuklen and then we went on to down the Big Bad Wolf. (I will comment on what our issues were that we had to overcome in the new weekly thread.)Those in attendance:MahnalorThandrennBlaveKurumiBenvoloDRPKrikorJazzmynnXandorZuklenLoot:Moroes:Boots of Valience - JazzmynnRoyal Cloak of Arathi Kings - ThandrennBig Bad Wolf:Big Bad Wolf's Paw - DrpRibbon of Sacrifice - XandorStats for the evening (minus one Moroes attempt can be found here: http://www.lossendil.com/wws/?report=ay25px2amvvfi )This gives each of us as an idea on where we each need to improve.  Please take a look at your own stats and take it as a personal challenge to improve on them for our next run. Please be sure to take a look at the next thread for this week as there will be some important information regarding our group progression and how we are going to improve on our chances for success.-Mahnalor

TIggerstYle

Post by TIggerstYle » August 22nd, 2007, 7:07 am

If you need my help this week Jose i'm available to run on thursday with Wicked or Tig