Post-Mortem (7/1 Shade of Aran)

guild news, policies, and raid information
Han

Post by Han » July 2nd, 2007, 11:44 am

First off, great job everyone, we are definitely making progress on this fight.  Great group composition, with the exception of a missing warlock.  I think at the point we are it in gear progression and group composition, we should require a warlock for this fight.  When we did beat Shade, we used the soulstone as a b-rez and the banish and fear, and healthstones!  It is invaluable to be able to rez during battle in the event of an untimely death.  We all learned the lesson the hard way that winning this fight requires more than 4 people to be alive after the adds.Adds:  We really did an awesome job taking these adds down fast.  The problem is, without crowd control, the healing is VERY stressed while 5 mobs are dps'ing the raid.  That's a lot to ask from our healers, and the body count proved it.  Being able to fear one or two helped, but we need one to be taken out of the fight completely with a banish.  I died every time on the adds, and it hurts to lose all that dps.  I need to swap on a piece or two of stam gear for this fight, I learned.Lhono, how did it work trying to interrupt the shade during the adds?  I was wondering if you can be in range to shock him, but still out of range of his AoE counterspell so you could toss out a couple heals during the adds.  I really think any help we can give to healers during this critical 45-90 seconds will save us.  Maybe you can downrank earth shock to R1 so you have mana available for heals?  I know you won't be able to swap gear and the heals will suck, but anything would help.I am sure we can get that last 20% health burned down if we keep a couple more dps'ers up through the adds.  Frost resist potions should be required for the next attempt on shade.  Anything anyone can think of to help stay alive during the adds, please post it!

Drumble

Post by Drumble » July 2nd, 2007, 2:04 pm

I had a couple observations I'd add:DPS -- "BALLS OUT" --- great job guysINTERRUPTS -- I think we really need to get organized with these even better.  Previously we had a situation with too few, in this instance I think we had too many.  With two people diving on a fireball, sometimes they would layer and an arcane missle would get pummeled.  That's him running around meleeing people at random -- better to have the casting time and the choice whether or not to interrupt.  Additionally - hitting it "whenever I could" meant that when I really needed it, seeing him double-target someone in the raid or target someone with already low health -- occasionally it was on global cooldown from other abilities.  For this -- I propose we set up rotation, either within our own spell school bashing or universally.  If I knew that I was scheduled to bash his next "frost or fire" -- I know I could do it during the last 33% of the cast, buying DPS even more time.ADDS -- I think we have rough enough trash that *nothing* can be safely ignored.  Full DPS on a target still means that tanks / OT or what is needed is still seeking to control the others.  When we were assigning specific roles, instead of charging and marking the first -- we did MUCH better.

Drumble

Post by Drumble » July 2nd, 2007, 6:02 pm

O.M.G!It didn't occur to me until just now that we had a warlock alt in the raid last night!  Wish we had thought to pull him in last night ...   So frustrating to leave him alive!

dixiemartin

Post by dixiemartin » July 2nd, 2007, 7:27 pm

I probably shouldn't answer for Dan, but he's not here right now so... I know that he doesn't want to bring Huck in for later fights until Hardwigg has gotten his drops. Ya know, as soon as the 'lock is there, the hunter loot will drop. Though perhaps he'd've felt differently after not beating Shade 4 or 5 times. But I assume that's why he didn't suggest it last night. The thing I noticed last night the most about missing a 'lock is the healthstones! After everyone gets pyroblasted, or whatever, the entire raid (that's still left) is hovering near death. In every single attempt, someone died then because 3 healers can't get everyone to a safe HP level in time. Healthstones at least get everyone to a point where they can take 1 more hit, and give us time to heal them the rest of the way. Just my opinions (err, and my interpretation of Dan's opinions...)

Drumble

Post by Drumble » July 2nd, 2007, 11:02 pm

!...  Lets not make those kind of choices in the future --  I was under the assumption (and I thought we were collectively discussing aloud) "how much easier" this fight -- heck, the trash -- would have been with a warlock.  Completely disabling 2 of the adds at minor DPS cost, utility of healthstones/soulstones, banishing elementals, etc, etc, etc...I'm.going.to.stop.typing.now ...