Raid 4/11 post-mortem

guild news, policies, and raid information
Drumble

Raid 4/11 post-mortem

Post by Drumble » April 12th, 2007, 9:02 am

All in all, I think we had a successful first "full guild" trip into Karazhan.  There were the obvious wipes based on some newness and the "everyone who's keyed" makeup of our raid -- but all in all, we left with successes.  Keep in mind your first trip into UBRS or Scholomance to keep things in perspective, we learned 2 raid bosses -- next time we'll one-shot them!  Gratz to those that got their upgrades!  I'd like to open up a discussion on ways that we can do better next time, let me know what you think worked/didn't last night -- how can we do it better?* Repairing     Get honored.  Repairing at the blacksmith will speed us up 1000%.  * AOE       Should have at least one mage in the raid (water boy?) Unconventional AOEing caused a number of chaotic pulls* Communication on Single Deaths.     We were having one or two people die on a number of the trash pulls.  This really slows our momentum down as we mill around waiting for buffs.  We should have a system, perhaps the person who is newly alive can *say* they're ready in raid chat so we can pull the next.Specific encounters:Attumen & Midnight*   We learned to keep these two in line of sight to prevent him bugging out.  Additionally, I think it would be good to toss a few DoTs on Attumen, as he's not healed 100% when he remounts if I'm not mistaken.   Also, remember threat is reset when he mounts -- we need to give a good delay before DPSing again.  I'll pop shield wall when he mounts to save on some of the initial healing aggro.Moroes*    From a tanking perspective, I got my first real taste of crushing blows.  At 15k armor, 12k HP, 492 defense he was hitting for ~2200; I noticed that the crushing blow comes immediately following the attack, not as a separate attack - so that was an additional +4k damage in the span of a heartbeat.  I was using shield block *almost* every time it was up, but I'm sure I let it sneak through.  I need to be sure to keep up imp. Thunder Clap and Shield Block ESPECIALLY when he's enraged ...Trash*    Spectral Ushers - Hit HARD, un CC'able, untauntable, and enrage - best to take it slow to 50% then burn to 0%, rather than a full burn -- if you pull aggro you WILL die.

dudepal

Raid 4/11 post-mortem

Post by dudepal » April 12th, 2007, 12:04 pm

yeah, those are all good ideas.  Especially for Attumen.  When he mounts up, the life of the mounted unit will be equal to whatever Attumen himself is at when he mounts.  So yeah, dots would be good, and it's even conceivable to switch to attumen  for a bit and dps him as well before getting the horse to 25%.  When he is unmounted, he won't use his charge out into the clothies.  As far as the having mages goes, I agree that it wold help, but I'm not sure that it would necessarily prevent single deaths on the aoe pulls.  At least last week when we had two mages as well as fargol, it generally seemed like one or the other of the mages would die anyways.  Those pulls definitely went quicker at least though.  Also, once we are able to get to the opera event, depending on which opera is chosen for us we may need as many as two mages. For the moroes event, once we remembered to kite the adds it went a lot smoother.  As a result of Mike's and my internet problems though, this was complicated a bit and definitely resulted in our earlier wipes.  All I can say about that though is that I hope our internet cooperates next time.   In addition, I think we definitely had some of the harder adds, and hopefully next time we get some more squishy guys to take down. All in all though i think it was a decent run.  One nice thing about stopping where we did is that the entire ballroom will now clear itself of trash because we defeated moroes.  So, when we take a second try there later this week, we will practically be all the way to the maiden of virtue.      

Fargol

Raid 4/11 post-mortem

Post by Fargol » April 12th, 2007, 1:40 pm

Yea, good thoughts on Attumen, tossing a little dps on him (i.e. dots) would help in the long run, but yea it has to be just what we can spare - prolly still best to drop the horse as soon as we can.

I'm also not sold on the AOE problems, I feel like I died just as much on AoE last night as I died the week before. It's just that last week we still had to mages to help AoE after I died... :-p On the plus side, Capt. Dies-A-Lot (me) is now honored, so I can go repair by the blacksmith every other pull now... :-p But regardless, of course it would be ideal to have a mage or two in the group, more AoE, more ranged dps, less people up in front getting cleaved. (Until the next patch)

When we do have the single deaths, just please remember to buff them as soon as their up if you're a buffing class. It'd be nice if it's automatic, and we don't have to wait for someone to ask for buffs. One way to think about it is, make sure you've helped others before you've helped yourself - i.e. throw out those buffs, then bandage/heal/drink,etc. Seeing someone with low health/mana is usually easier to see than noticing that just person A needs one buff. Full health/mana bars across the board, and we're on to the next pull

Moroes - kiting seems key - person with aggro, run around the table, stop when you dont' have aggro and get it again. Then run some more. I think that worked really well. Only thing to improve on is just trying be aware of the big picture.. has a shackle/trap/fear failed? Can I do another form of CC in the meantime? Is a mob wailing on a healer? Can I distract it long enough for some new CC to get in place? Stuff like that, but that'll come with time, as we're more used to what's going on.

Overall good run. The only other thing I can think of to try to work on is pre-emptive heals. Lots of these mobs/trash/bosses hit VERY hard. A tank can go from full health to 50% in no time, and then if a heal is even a tad late, that 50% can go right to 0% and it's too late. Start heals even if the tank is at full health. If you're casting a long heal you can cancel at the last second by moving forward/backward/hitting escape (if it's not needed) - it basically can turn a ~3 second cast into nearly instant healing - if the tank takes damage, you let it land, if not cancel it. Druids/Priest can toss up the HoTs pre-emptively and pallys should feel free to spam flash of light repeatedly since it's very mana efficent. Clearly there is a line between too much healing and just burning through your mana, leaving you with no heals, and these pre-emptive ideas, but try to play around with it.

We're off to a good start!

Krikor

Raid 4/11 post-mortem

Post by Krikor » April 12th, 2007, 3:29 pm

Well from what I saw on the run it was a pretty good run since a few of us have not even gotten that far. I did notice a few things on moroes and his adds though even with trash mobs too. Us rogues can try to stunlock them and with 2 rogues yesterday the mobs we could stun we should have been stunning more and preventing most of the damage. I know having the crippling poisons also were a good hit since they slowed down the mobs and for kiting them around. One thing is I know the mobs that can't be stunned or any type of shout or anything we have to be patient and wait for the aggro to be taken before anyone goes in and i know a few of us are not patient when it comes to that part, I know I am edging to go in but I have to wait so hope we can just take out time and i know we are on a timer based fight but it has to be done or we will wipe.

dudepal

Raid 4/11 post-mortem

Post by dudepal » April 12th, 2007, 11:20 pm

Hey guys, here's a little good news for us I just saw on the WoW forums:Because 2.1.0 is not yet on the PTR's (we're hoping by tomorrow or early next week), we're going to hotfix the base creature respawn in Serpentshrine and TK Raid to be 2 hours. We're also going to fix the bug that's causing the creatures to respawn after the boss for the corresponding section has been killed.These aren't all of the changes that we have for 2.1.0, just two of the ones that we will be able to hotfix. There are more changes coming in 2.1.0 that include creature tuning, better loot etc...Some examples:Lots of the creatures have fewer hitpointsLots of the creatures are no longer immune to CC (The female naga in SSC can be poly'd, Skeletal Ushers in KZ can be shackled)Lots of bug fixes I bolded the part pertinent to us.  This should make that particular part a little easier.  Too bad we'll have to wait a few weeks for that patch.  By then we'll be killing them with no problems anyways.