Tanking Threat

guild news, policies, and raid information
Beiner

Tanking Threat

Post by Beiner » August 16th, 2011, 11:35 am

le /sigh...
I don't think I like the threat changes coming in... As a dps, it means we can go balls out now, but as a tank it kinda sucks, since I enjoyed figuring out what I have to do to generate threat to hold it from the Andy's, Jason's, Chris' of the world. It's what sets good tanks apart from the bad ones. Now everyone will think they can tank, since holding aggro will be much easier.

Judecca

Re: Tanking Threat

Post by Judecca » August 16th, 2011, 12:28 pm

:twisted: no more dyin for Judecca/Goldrinn! XD

Inori

Post by Inori » August 16th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Meh, the game takes a step back in the direction of the lowest common denominator of player ability.

I suppose now I can't laugh at Andrew when he prepots with David missing.

-HP

Inori

Post by Inori » August 16th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Now that I think about it, we said the same thing about the change where crowd control no longer pulls the mobs. We should have resisted more fiercely. Next thing you know, they're gonna refund healer mana for overhealing.

-HP

draven

Post by draven » August 16th, 2011, 1:30 pm

it depends on what they do after the change. if they use this opportunity to vary what tanks are doing in fights, sort of along the lines of alysrazor, then it may not be all bad. actually, there aren't any bosses in firelands where threat is really a concern anyway, so it really affects trash and dungeons more than anything else. it would remove one of my indicators for bad dps though...

Beiner

Post by Beiner » August 16th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Well the fight that immediately comes to mind was domo, just because we were blowing hero on the pull and I was constantly on my toes to make sure andy/jason/andrew didn't grab aggro off the bat. It kept me trying to improve threat with each pull we did. Baleroc might be the same way as well.

I do hope they substitute threat management with something else, cause I know tanking Baleroc, I sometimes lose focus during the fight cause it just gets boring after the first 10 sec.

draven

Post by draven » August 16th, 2011, 1:44 pm

ah yes, i didn't think about majordomo. on baleroc i just assume the tanks are getting hit so hard that that alone was generating enough threat to make it a non-issue. look on the bright side, i'll be able to tot you (and anyone else) now without worrying about it ;)

drp

Post by drp » August 16th, 2011, 2:40 pm

draven wrote:ah yes, i didn't think about majordomo. on baleroc i just assume the tanks are getting hit so hard that that alone was generating enough threat to make it a non-issue. look on the bright side, i'll be able to tot you (and anyone else) now without worrying about it ;)
I feel like you keep forgetting about my really good threat dump :mrgreen: