Vent dun be broke

guild news, policies, and raid information
Daghi

Vent dun be broke

Post by Daghi » March 30th, 2011, 4:11 pm

So vent is busted and I can tell you for sure the steam voice chat is kind of ghetto, better than WoW's but not great. Just wondering if there was an ETA on when our vent would be back. Thanks

draven

Re: Vent dun be broke

Post by draven » March 30th, 2011, 5:16 pm

brian / nagashi set the current one up, so he's probably the only one with any visibility into it, but i haven't seen him around in at least a month. it's been almost exactly six months since we switched to it, so he probably got a six month subscription that has now expired. i tried connecting to the mumble server that mike / fargol set up, but it appears to be down as well. we were able to borrow a vent server last night, but i'm not sure if that's something we can abuse. i'm probably not going to have any time to figure anything else out before the weekend.
this also gets back to the question of whether or not we want to continue with a paid vent server or switch to something like mumble, which is free.

Benvolo

Post by Benvolo » March 30th, 2011, 7:52 pm

In regards to going back to membership supported paid vent subscriptions, how about (if its not too short of notice to ask) if g2 tries and raid with mumble set up with everyone on thursday, and we give it a try on sunday as well. After everyone gets a chance to see how the free service stacks up against what we had with vent, they can decide if it would be worthwhile to donate to a paid subscription to vent for a (hopefully) nominal fee if a majority of people are in favor of getting it. I don't mind dropping 10-20 bucks for a decent length subscription, but I don't want to have to pay 10-20 bucks a month. I have way too many things that have lame sauce recurring monthly payments, and given the spotty work opportunities in my given field, I don't want people to have to lose vent service because I didn't work for 3 months.

Anyways, its lateish and im rambling. discuss.

Aezelkvalae

Post by Aezelkvalae » March 30th, 2011, 8:05 pm

I still have Crisis vent info as well, and I can get admin of it at any point. Last time I talked to Mike he said I am free to use it for raiding as is any former member of Crisis. This is not a long term solution but for this week and a few more this could cover it.

Ofie

Post by Ofie » April 1st, 2011, 2:45 am

I'd be happy to set up a one-month or whatever server in the interim, but it'd be limited because the price goes up bunches depending on the amount of people. I think 25 at a time would be sufficient for raids and shenanigans, no?

Benvolo

Post by Benvolo » April 1st, 2011, 6:01 pm

I was just browsing around looking into different vent servers since I never really did anything with that before. I know at one point we were using a typefrag server, but I don't remember if that was what Nagashi's was on or not. I did find this, http://www.darkstarllc.com/, they have a 1 year subscription for a 25 person server for $70.73 which doesn't sound too bad to me. If most of the 2 10 man groups contribute to the server, (which if we can get 15 people) would only be about 5 bucks a person for a year, which is not too bad at all. I think we still have a guild paypal thing setup, so fund collection would be pretty straight forward.

WarmApplePie

Post by WarmApplePie » April 2nd, 2011, 1:58 am

If this doesn't get figured out by Sunday I'll get one.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

thandrenn

Post by thandrenn » April 2nd, 2011, 9:30 am

I'd be willing to chip in and help out if needed.

draven

Post by draven » April 2nd, 2011, 10:03 am

i'll set up a mumble server today, so peoples can try that if you aren't too scared of change

draven

Post by draven » April 2nd, 2011, 4:22 pm

mumble server is up. info is in the guild tab.
client is here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
setup is pretty easy, you can just click yes for the certificate notice.
any questions or issues, lemme know.

draven

Post by draven » April 3rd, 2011, 3:52 pm

the mumble server info has been updated to just use a subdomain, although the old info should still work as well. if you guys use it for the raid tonight, please let me know how it works out.

chris

Post by chris » April 4th, 2011, 9:25 am

I've been using it a lot lately, however our ventrilo seems to magically be up.

i've said it a couple times in gchat that I actually prefer the feel and sound of Mumble and hope thats what we end up using.

Benvolo

Post by Benvolo » April 4th, 2011, 9:56 am

Yeah, mumble seems to be pretty nice, esp for a free system. Assuming that it holds up during raids and whatnot I am all for using mumble.

draven

Post by draven » April 4th, 2011, 1:55 pm

weird, the vent server seems to have been completely reset. well i guess that gives us more time to figure out what to do. i'd still vote for mumble long term though, i'll see if "group 2" will be brave enough to try it out thursday maybe.
the current mumble server is just running on my trusty living room server, and while i think that should be fine, if anyone has another computer / server we can use as a backup, that might be good to have in case my internets die. it's pretty easy to set up, and works on windows, mac / osx, and linux.

Benvolo

Post by Benvolo » April 4th, 2011, 3:54 pm

I don't really know anything about setting up and running servers, but I do have a lot of hardware laying around my place that I can donate to such a worthy cause if someone else can maintain it.