Post by AnXaris » May 10th, 2014, 2:41 am

Name (first name only): Evan
Character Name: Anmaris
Class: Priest
Level: 90
Main Spec: Shadow
Off Spec: Discipline
Trade skills: Tailoring, Enchanting

Have you read and understand the following posts? Yes, I have/do.
- Read This Before Applying
- Ranks
- About Us

Which of the following best describes your raiding goals? The rest of your application will be judged based on the answer to this question, so please make sure your character reflects your goals.
3. Dedicated to progressing through heroics at whatever rate the group is capable of

What is your raid experience? Please list as much as you think is relevant.
Burning Crusade: Kara-SWP
Cataclysm: Tail end of FL and DS inc. 6/8 heroic (10 man)

I have always played horde because several real life friends pressured me into it, however left to my own devices I would have preferred to play Alliance. While I've been away from WoW, the last of my RL friends finally quit the game, so I took the opportunity to reroll alliance! The insta-90 I got for preordering WoD didn't hurt my decision, either :-).

Why did you leave your previous (current) guild?
I quit playing shortly after capping when MoP released. Didn't raid in MoP; I was very discouraged by some of the changes made to end game in 5.0, return to dailies and faction grind for loot, difficulty getting geared for raid content, LFR random rewards (duplicates) and inability to pass loot, etc. Seems that most of that has been fixed.

Current guild was just the first lvl 25 guild to spam invite me.

How did you find out about our guild?
Wowprogress

Does anyone in our guild know you?
No

How many alts do you have and is this your main?
I have 3 serious alts (druid (moonkin), warlock (aff), mage (arcane)) and I also have a shaman (ele) that I dabble in. I try to keep alts relatively geared through LFR and normal mode PUGs so that they can be used to burn a lock if required to fill-in. The Priest is my main.

I stick to ranged (caster) DPS so that my role in raid is consistent, and I can float around as the group requires. Main > Alt for loot obviously; but, I've always been fine to bring the Druid for example if the group had a trial spriest with us or too many paladin, priest, warlock tokens that night. I know my rotations for all of the above classes, but only really know how to heal as the priest.

What are your play times?
My job is 12hour shift work, so basically it works out to me being available 3 out of 4 weeks a month. There will be one week a month I will be working midnights on raid night. On December 8th, my job switches to M-F 7a-3p.

Which of our raid times would you be able to make?
Any time, 3 of the 4 weeks in any given month

Would you be willing to sit out if it is necessary without a fuss?
Yes. I also always try to find a pug on my off week or if I'm benched so my gear doesn't lag behind the rest of the team.

What website(s) do you use to research your character(s)?
EJ and Icy-Veins

Have you spent a sufficient amount of time and gold on your gear, gems, and enchants?
I'm very limited resource-wise due to rerolling to Alliance less than two weeks ago. I'm working on grinding out the gold to be "comfortable". I understand the various enchants and gems and how they fit into my class. I will say I'm a bit overwhelmed with the number of gear choices available now, there doesn't seem to be a clear "best-in-slot" hierarchy like there used to be in cata.

I need two more runs of LFR more than likely to be geared appropriately. In the intervening time I'm fine with "casual-raider" rank.

Raiders are expected to use consumables during raids. In the following categories what consumable would you use and why?
- Flask/Elixirs: Flask of the Warm Sun
- Well Fed: banquet or if none available +int food like Mogu Fish Stew
- Potion: Potion of the Jade Serpent

I'm caster DPS so int > all. Even as discipline I tend to stick with int over spirit as a) mana isn't really a problem and b) I like to throw in some atonement so more int = more spell power = more damage = more heals.

If you are DPS, what are the hit / expertise caps your character needs to be viable in a raid?
I need 4760 hit (Draenei).

What is the basic gemming strategy for your character?
Red: +int/haste
Yellow: +haste
Blue: +int/spirit
Meta: +int/crit

For the moment I'm doing something drastically different from what AMR will say I should be doing -- this is because I'm sharing gear between disc and shadow at this point, and I don't want to reforge out of spirit. AMR wants me to use expertise gems to cap hit and reforge out of spirit/hit into crit/mastery. This is partly based on the benefits to haste/crit/mastery provided by T16 bonus (which I don't have) and works counter to my need to share gear to heal.

Basically I know I'm wrong but don't have the gear to justify "fixing" it.

What is the basic reforging strategy for your character?
INT>HASTE (to GCD)>CRIT>MASTERY>HASTE (past GCD).

You're probably asking why I prioritize crit over mastery. Just because I will typically Atonement heal when we need to 3 heal a fight to try to preserve as much raid DPS as possible. Mastery is a dead stat for atonement.

What is your favorite boss fight and why? What boss haven't you fought that you're looking forward to the most?
Kara/Chess. I will never forget how cool I thought this was the first time I did it. It got old quickly, but it was still one of my favorites. Also any boss from SWP. THAT WHOLE PLACE WAS AWESOME (I might have some rose-colored-glasses going on when I look back on SWP though).

And, SoO is... Hot.

What boss mod(s) do you use?
DBM

What website(s) do you use to proactively research raid encounters?
EJ, I also like to watch mike preach and fatboss on YouTube.

Please link your armory profile:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/azshara/Anmaris/

Is there anything else you want to tell us?
I've really enjoyed leveling and playing these last few weeks on Alliance. It has really re-energized my passion for WoW. I'm looking forward to trying out raiding from the other perspective as well!

I'm flexible on my main for progression for the remainder of Mop, although I do prefer my spriest, so I'd like to be able to continue working on him as raid slots or alt raids allow. I will most likely play spriest for WoD, if at all raid viable.

Are there any ways that we can improve the application process?
Seems good. I liked that the forums didn't require verification or anything so I could jump right in and fill out my application while I was still excited about the guild.

draven

Re: Raider Application

Post by draven » May 10th, 2014, 12:07 pm

greetings, thanks for the app!
AnXaris wrote: I have always played horde because several real life friends pressured me into it, however left to my own devices I would have preferred to play Alliance. While I've been away from WoW, the last of my RL friends finally quit the game, so I took the opportunity to reroll alliance! The insta-90 I got for preordering WoD didn't hurt my decision, either :-).
welcome to alliance! i hope you don't like to pvp ;)
AnXaris wrote: I will say I'm a bit overwhelmed with the number of gear choices available now, there doesn't seem to be a clear "best-in-slot" hierarchy like there used to be in cata.
the traditional idea of best in slot doesn't really exist anymore. between four different raid difficulties, warforged, valor upgrades, and pvp gear being relatively useful, gear is a lot more confusing these days. tools like ask mr. robot are usually the best way to figure out such things.
AnXaris wrote: Kara/Chess. I will never forget how cool I thought this was the first time I did it. It got old quickly, but it was still one of my favorites.
kara was pretty much the best thing ever. anywho, aside from your gear being a work in progress everything looks great to me. track someone down online and we can get you an invite :)